Casting Stone Steps
Create one-of-a-kind concrete pavers that express your personality.
The first step is to design and create a mold. Then you can make as many matching stepping-stones as you like.
What You Need:Make your own stepping-stones -- like the blue squares shown here.
- Oil-based modeling clay
- Sharp knife
- Plywood work board
- Pencil and paper
- Mold latex (available at art supply stores)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pot for boiling water
- 4-6 feet of 1x3 pine boards
- Wood screws
- Masonite board
- Concrete mix
- Latex paint (if color is desired)
- Brick fragment (for sanding edges)
Instructions:Sculpt design from clay.
1. Roll oil-based modeling clay to 1/4-inch thickness on a work surface. Draw desired patterns on paper and place them on the clay. Cut around each pattern with a knife. Place clay pieces on an uncut copy of a stepping-stone-size paper pattern (about 12 x 12 inches), which has been glued to a plywood work board. Sculpt a design model by shaping and joining clay pieces. Spritz with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Brush a thin layer of mold latex over the surface of the clay model. Apply slowly to prevent air bubbles. Dry overnight and repeat the process until the mold reaches 1/4-inch thickness (20 to 25 coats for reusable molds). When thoroughly dry, remove mold from the clay model and boil for 10 minutes to strengthen the latex.