Bring a touch of the islands to your porch.
Start with this simple trellis for an exotic look.
1. Purchase bamboo at specialty garden stores, some home centers, or online. The featured project uses 8-foot lengths of 2-inch-diameter bamboo and synthetic twine. Natural twine quickly deteriorates.
2. Draw a diagram to scale to determine the spacing and amount of needed bamboo.
3. Nail a 1x2 board to the porch soffit to act as a brace to hold the top of the vertical bamboo in place. The bottom of the vertical bamboo rests on the ledge of the porch rail and is tied in placed with twine.
4. Measure and mark where horizontal pieces intersect with vertical pieces.
5. Cut horizontal pieces to size, then position, and tape in place.
6. Lash the horizontals at each intersection with synthetic twine after removing the tape. This is a square lashing technique.
Give the sun a new slant on your porch with this simple bamboo valance.
1. The valance uses 1-inch-diameter bamboo, tied together in 18-inch intervals.
2. Cut bamboo to desired length.
3. Lay the bamboo on a flat surface, alternating thicker and thinner ends.
4. Lightly mark where bamboo will be tied, and tie together using a series of knots.
5. Hang the valance from large plant hooks.