Cabinet Makeover: Aged and Embossed
If you think your kitchen cabinets are beyond repair, don't despair. With a little creativity and elbow grease, you can revive the face of almost any cabinet door.
- Strip the door's existing finish, and sand it smooth.
- Distress the door's outside edges with these techniques: -- Lightly hammering a screwdriver into the wood in several places -- Hitting the door with a chain -- Scratching with a razor blade
- Apply a dark stain, and allow it to settle into these indentations.
- Cut embossed wallpaper to the size of the raised panel and adhere it to the door with wallpaper paste.
- When dry, apply one or two coats of semigloss latex paint to the center wallpaper section, letting it dry between coats.
- Highlight the raised portion of the embossed wallpaper by lighting sponging on a second color.
The current issue of Kitchen Makeovers can be purchased at your local bookstore or newsstand. Back issues can be purchased by calling 1-800-867-8628, or ordered from the BHG.com store at the website link below.