Easy Cabinet Updates: Wicked Wicker
Update your kitchen with this easy cabinet door makeover. All it takes is a few tools and an afternoon.
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Rout out the door's raised panel.
- Fill any nicks in the door with wood filler.
- Lightly sand each door to rough up the entire surface. For already-finished cabinetry, use a bonding primer to ensure new paint will stick.
- Apply a stain-blocking primer.
- Apply two or three coats of one color of paint.
- Weave the edging, keeping it tight and even.
- Using a saw, cut a thin board backing to fit in the routed area.
- Place the woven edging on top of the backing. Cover it with kraft paper to keep it from burning and iron it into place.
- Apply a single coat of the second color to top of weaving.
- Dry brush the first color onto the new paint surface. Let dry.
- Secure woven edging and panel in place with push points.
- Add desired hardware.