Spare yourself some hassle and headache, as well as last-minute deck building budget busters, by going over this project checklist of essentials. Though it won't cover everything needed for special upgrades, such as a fireplace or full outdoor kitchen, checking your plans against these points should keep your deck building project on the right track.
- Does the deck comply with area building codes?
- Is there plenty of space for planned outdoor activities?
- Is there enough space for amenities and furnishings, such as patio tables and chairs, and for the people who will use them?
- Will traffic flow easily between the house and the deck?
- Is it easy to access the yard from the deck?
- Are individual spaces for specific uses designated on a large deck?
- Will the deck work well visually with the house?
- Will at least a portion of the deck be shaded, if desired, during peak use times?
- If privacy is a concern, are privacy screens planned?
- Does the deck include storage elements, such as built-ins or access doors?
- Do you have detailed plans of the final deck design?
- If you plan to work with contractors, builders, and other professionals, have you reviewed and signed contracts specifying all work, materials, and responsibilities?
- For more information go to Build a Deck.
- Does your project list include all project components that follow?
- Have you budgeted for all the project components?