(Note: Make 3 recipes for Valentine Cake)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening or butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- Grease and flour pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 30 minutes for the 10-inch baking pan and for about 30 to 35 minutes for the 6-inch baking pan, or until cakes spring back when slightly touched.
(Note: Make 3 recipes to decorate Valentine Cake.)
1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar, beating until combined. If necessary, beat in a little additional milk to make frosting that is easy to spread.
Continued on page 3: Instructions