Chocolate tastes so exquisite that it's easy to feel guilty for indulging in it. Luckily most of chocolate's bad press is a myth. Here are the delicious facts.
1. Chocolate won't cause or aggravate acne.
2. Chocolate isn't bad for your teeth like many candies. Chocolate contains tannins, astringent substances from the cocoa bean that actually block plaque formation. Of course, the sugar content means you can't toss out your toothbrush.
3. Although high in fat, chocolate can be eaten in moderation because 75 percent of its fat content is vegetable fat. Most is either oleic acid, a healthful monounsaturated fatty acid, or a type of saturated fat that actually lowers blood cholesterol levels.
4. Chocolate isn't addictive. Chocolate cravings aren't satisfied by any special ingredient in chocolate itself -- it's just those sweet flavors and calories we love.
5. Chocolate doesn't keep you awake. A 1-ounce serving actually contains only 6 milligrams of caffeine, about the amount in a cup of decaffeinated coffee.
6. Chocolate might offer healthful benefits. A 1-ounce bar has the same antioxidant protection against cancers as a 5-ounce glass of red wine.
7. It won't make you fall in love, but chocolate is often linked with passion. Coincidentally, chocolate contains a natural chemical that mimics the brain chemistry of people in love.