Make Valentine's Day Coasters and Place Mats
Decorate your table this Valentine's Day with hand-painted coasters and place mats shaped like hearts. Kids will love helping out with this project!
What You'll Need
- Tracing paper, pencil, and scissors
- Magenta crafts foam (1 large sheet makes 1 place mat and 1 coaster)
- Checkerboard stencil
- Acrylic paints: fuchsia, mulberry, cardinal red, and metallic gold
- Rounded paintbrush, thin paintbrush
- Download the heart pattern with the link below. Enlarge and trace; cut out. (One square on the pattern equals 1 inch.)
- Lay place mat heart patterns and coaster pattern on one piece of foam. Trace with a pencil. Cut shapes out using scissors. Repeat process for each place setting.
- Lay checkerboard stencil midway down the heart and trace one row of squares with a pencil. Repeat this for each heart.
- Begin painting bottom of heart with fuchsia in small sweeping strokes. Paint sweeping strokes of mulberry and cardinal red. Finish with small sweeping dabs of metallic gold.
- Paint the checkerboard metallic gold and mulberry.
- Paint the top of the heart in mulberry with swirling strokes of fuchsia and cardinal red. Outline each heart with a thin line of mulberry. Let paint dry.