Stitch lovingly gathered laces and trims to fabric, adding aged buttons as accents. Cover a sturdy cardboard heart-shape cutout with the elegant stitchery for your favorite incurable romantic.
0 did it
You Will Need
- (2) 12-inch squares each of cardboard; fleece or cotton batting; and woven fabric
- 8-inch lengths of lace in assorted widths (enough to cover entire front of heart)
- 1/2 yard of 3-inch-wide crocheted lace edging
- 15 inches of 5/8-inch-wide sheer ribbon
- 16-inch piece of 5/8-inch-wide braid
- Vintage buttons
- Glue gun and low-temperature hotmelt adhesive
- Masking tape
continue reading below
- Trace the pattern, see link below, onto tracing paper; cut out. Cut 2 each from cardboard and fleece. Trace 2 hearts on fabric. Add a 1-inch seam allowance around the edges. To one heart (front), baste the laces vertically covering the seam allowance line. Sew laces side by side and cover with narrow laces. Attach buttons on top of lace. Cut out heart front and back.
- Lightly glue a fleece heart to each cardboard heart. Cover each fleece heart with fabric; carefully clip fabric to seam allowance. Tape seam allowance to the cardboard back.
- Place heart back fabric side down. Pin the center of the crocheted lace edging to the tip of the heart. Pin the edging around each side, slightly gathering edging while pinning. Glue the edging in place, removing the pins. Glue the ends of the sheer ribbon to the area marked Ribbon Hanger on the pattern.
- Glue the heart front to the heart back. Glue braid around the outer edge.