What You Need:
- 24-inch square of pink wool felt
- 11 x 11-inch piece of lavender wool felt
- 11 x 14-inch piece of white wool felt
- 1/8 yard of red wood felt
- Clear-drying crafts glue
- Three skeins of dark purple embroidery floss
- Size 18 tapestry needle
- Tracing paper
1. Download the free chart and color key for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Draw a 24-inch-diameter circle onto tracing paper. Use this pattern to cut the base shape for the rug from pink felt. Save all pink scraps for cutting the shapes as directed.
3. Trace the downloaded full-size patterns onto tracing paper. Cut the following shapes from the felt: 12 white, 13 lavender, and 5 red large circles; 8 white and 4 pink small circles; 16 red large hearts; 9 red and 4 pink small hearts.
4. Referring to the downloaded placement diagram for color, position small circles and hearts in the middle of the large circles; glue in place with crafts glue. Separate the six-ply embroidery floss and use two plies to work blanket stitches around the small circles and the small hearts to attach them to the large circles.
5. Position the large red hearts around the 24-inch-diameter pink base, placing the bottom point of each heart 1/2 inch from the outer edge of the base; glue in place. Carefully trim the outside edges of the pink base around the red hearts.
6. Position the large circles in the middle of the pink base as indicated on the placement diagram; glue in place.
7. Work blanket stitches around the hearts and circles as directed above.
8. When complete, press penny rug on the wrong side to flatten.