What You Need:
room decor by choosing
handmade papers to match.
- 20 x 30-inch sheet of handmade paper with flowers
- 20 x 30-inch sheet of white foam board
- Thick white crafts glue
- Small sponge brush
- Scissors or crafts knife
- 1 yard of 1-1/2-inch-wide sheer ribbon
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- 20 x 30-inch sheet of clear flexible Plexiglas
- Letter opener
- Plastic disposable plate
- 4-ounce package of 10/0 beads
- Acrylic paints to coordinate with the handmade papers
- Papier-mâché containers (2 x 4-inch rectanglular and 3-inch-diameter, 3-1/2-inch-tall round)
- 4 small sheets of handmade paper
- 1 yard of 1-inch-wide sheer ribbon
- Assorted glass beads
1. Place the handmade paper, pattern side down, on a clean work surface. The foam board should be clean and free of dust particles. Evenly spread crafts glue on one side of the foam board, completely covering the surface. Place the foam board, glue side down, on top of the paper and press firmly. Allow to dry. Use scissors or a crafts knife to cut away any excess paper around the edges. 2. Cut four 12-inch lengths of ribbon. Diagonally stretch one ribbon length across a corner of the board. Hot-glue the ends of the ribbon to the back of the foam board. Repeat on each corner. Slip the Plexiglas under the ribbons. Place photos and other mementos under the ribbons and between the Plexiglas and the handmade paper. 3. To make the letter opener, squeeze glue on a small section of the letter opener handle. Holding the handle over a plastic disposable plate, sprinkle beads over the glued area. Carefully press the beads into the glue with your fingers. Shake excess beads back into the bead container. Repeat this process to cover the entire handle. Fill any bare areas by adding more glue and beads. Let the glue dry. 4. To make the containers, use the sponge brush and acrylic paint to cover the inside of each box with two coats of paint. Measure and cut pieces of paper to fit the sides of each box. Cover the box sides with glue and press the paper firmly in place. Let the glue dry. Wrap ribbon around the center of the rectanglular box and spot-glue it in back. Repeat for the round box, tying the ribbon in a bow. Glue the bow knot to the container. Spot-glue beads along the center of each ribbon.
- Choose handmade papers to match your room decor.
- Line the papier-mâché desk accessories with a coordinating paper instead of painting them to match.