Shadow Applique Card
Cut the shamrocks from green felt, and sandwich them between muslin and organza. Quilt around the leaves, add stems, and fit them into the opening of a purchased handmade card.
What You Need:Send friends good luck with this festive card.
- 3-1/2 x 5-1/4-inch piece of muslin
- 3-1/2 x 5-1/4-inch pice of organza
- 4 x 4-inch piece of green felt
- Embroidery floss: green
- 3-3/4 x 5-1/2-inch purchased ivory greeting card with 3-5/8-inch-wide heart-shape opening or 5-1/2 x 11-inch piece of heavy parchment paper
- Pinking shears
- Crafts glue; tracing paper
2. If making a card, fold parchment paper in thirds; mark and cut heart opening, using pattern as a guide.
3. Position muslin under heart opening in card. Arrange and lightly glue shamrocks to muslin as shown on pattern. Remove fabric from card; lay organza atop shamrocks and muslin. Machine or hand-baste 3/8 inch from edges of layered fabrics; pink edges.
4. To shadow applique, use one strand of floss to outline the shamrocks and stems with small quilting stitches, sewing through both organza and muslin. Add three small straight stitches to the center of each shamrock. Center the design in the card opening; lightly glue in place.