St. Paddy's Day Entertaining Menu
St. Patrick's Day is a day to wear the green and have great meal. From the dip to the dessert, this dinner will please any guests who claim to be Irish today -- and everyone does this one day of the year. The Scones and Oatmeal cake are perfect with the classic corned beef cooked with carrots, cabbage, and potatoes. Follow the timeline to ensure a smooth evening. If St. Paddy's Day is in the middle of the week, make a few adjustments for the last hour or so -- you'll still be able to have a feast.
SidesGreen Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
This timeline shows you how far in advance food preparation for the menu can take place. Following these tips allows maximum time with your guests and minimum fuss.
Up to 1 month before
- Bake scones. Cool, wrap in foil, and freeze.
- Bake Oatmeal Cake, following directions through step 3. Cool, wrap well, and freeze.
Up to 1 week before dinner
- Prepare Thousand Island Dressing; cover and refrigerate.
Up to 2 days before dinner
- Prepare New England Boiled Dinner. Cool. Store vegetables in one container, corned beef in broth in another. Cover and refrigerate.
Up to 1 day before dinner
- Wash salad greens and dry. Cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare Broccoli-Cauliflower Bake and put in casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate.
- Thaw Oatmeal Cake at room temperature.
Up to 6 hours before dinner
- Bring vegetables for boiled dinner to room temperature.
- Prepare Bacon Horseradish Dip in slow cooker on low.
- Bring Broccoli-Cauliflower Bake to room temperature.
Up to 2 hours before dinner
- Slice cold brisket and return to broth.
- Prepare Boiled Nut Topping for Oatmeal Cake, spread on cake, and broil.
40 minutes before dinner
- Reheat brisket and vegetables in a casserole dish covered with foil in a 375-degree oven until hot. Or microwave on 50 percent power, checking frequently.
- Bake Broccoli-Cauliflower Bake in a 375-degree oven with brisket and vegetables.
20 minutes before dinner
- Place foil-wrapped scones in a 300-degree oven for 20 minutes to thaw and heat.
10 minutes before dinner
- Toss salad greens with dressing.