A closer look reveals entwined snakes and walking sticks commemorating favorite Irish legends. Easy to stitch on 14-count white Aida cloth, each motif of this wall hanging will entertain you.
What You Need:
This makes a great gift or
seasonal wall hanging.
- 17 x 19-inch piece of 14-count white Aida cloth
- DMC embroidery floss in the colors listed in the color key
- No. 24 tapestry needle
- Embroidery hoop (optional)
- Sewing thread or masking tape
1. Download the free pattern.
2. Overcast raw edges of fabric with sewing thread, or bind with masking tape to prevent the threads from raveling. Locate center of chart by following the arrows on the grid until they meet. To find the center of the fabric, fold it in half each way; finger-crease. Unfold and begin stitching center of design where the creases intersect.
3. Separate the six-strand embroidery floss, and use two strands of floss to work cross-stitches over one thread group.
4. When all cross-stitches are complete, backstitch the fiddle's bow with two strands of Medium Brown (433) and the bow string with one strand of Very Light Brown (435). Use two strands of Bright Green (700) to backstitch grass. Backstitch the harps' ribbons with one strand of Coffee Brown (801). Use one strand of Black-Brown (3371) for all remaining backstitches.
5. For leprechauns' eyes, use two strands of Dark Blue (825) to make French knots, wrapping floss twice around needle. For buttons on vests and shoes and for flower centers, use one strand of Black-Brown (3371) to make French knots, wrapping floss twice around needle.
6. Turn completed stitchery facedown on heavy towel, and press using a damp cloth and warm iron. Frame or finish as desired.