Make scent-filled sachets from rainbow silk you can customize. Decorative accents, made with rub-off foil, complete these funky fringed pillows.
1. Download the free patterns for the heart and moon decorations shown. Download requires free Adobe Acrobat software.
2. Pour rice into a plastic bag and add four drops of scented oil. Shake well and keep closed for at least one hour.
3. Place white paper on flat work surface. Lay the fabric squares on the paper and smooth them out. Spray the fabric squares with water until thoroughly wet but not dripping.
4. Place small dabs of paint on a foam plate and thin with water if needed until paint is consistency of light cream. Dip paintbrush in paint and paint onto wet fabric. Paint fabric sections different colors. Dip brush in water and clean well between color changes. Brush the colors together to cover all white surfaces. The paint colors will bleed together. Let fabric dry. Iron smooth if needed.
5. To add the gold design, draw any simple design you wish with a pencil at least 1-1/4 inches from the edge. You can use the patterns, or draw your own design or letter. Draw over the pencil line with adhesive. It will appear milky but will dry clear. The glue should be tacky, but firm enough so it doesn't smear when touched.
6. Place the gold foil sheet over the adhesive with right side up. Rub gently with fingers over the gold foil, leaving the foil on the adhesive design. Pull away the excess. Paint over the gold foil with clear sealer that comes with the gold rub-off foil.
7. Lay one finished square of fabric with the right side up. Pin the gold trim along the edge with the raw edges together. Sew the trim close to the edge of the fabric square.
8. Place the remaining finished square on top of first square with the right sides together. Pin the two layers together. Sew the pieces using a 1/2-inch seam, leaving a 1-1/2-inch opening along one side.
9. Turn the pillow right side out. Pour the scented rice into the sachet bag until filled as desired. Using a funnel may make this process easier. Hand-sew the opening shut using a needle and thread.