- Clear glass plate
- Clear glass tumbler or mug
- Tracing or typing paper
- Contact paper
- Crafts knife
- Etching cream (available at crafts stores)
- Small round paintbrush
- Rubber gloves
1. Download the free patterns. (This requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Wash the glassware and let it dry.
3. Make a letter "S" stencil. Transfer each S pattern to the paper side of a small piece of contact paper approximately 1 inch larger than the pattern. Without removing the backing, place the pieces of contact paper on cardboard. Use a crafts knife to carefully remove each S. Discard the S shapes.
4. Attach letter stencil to glassware. Stick the contact paper square with the small S onto the tumbler. Stick the large S on the back of the plate. Press all edges firmly to the glass.
5. Apply etching cream. Use a paintbrush to paint etching cream over the S shapes. Apply additional etching cream to plate rim and tumbler foot, if desired. Follow the instructions on the etching cream label to determine how long to leave on the cream.
6. Remove cream. When the time is up, put on rubber gloves. Carefully rinse off the cream under the faucet. Let the pieces dry.