22 Great Toasts
A New Year's toast need not be original to be great. Seek inspiration from -- or simply copy -- the following sayings for your celebration. These ideas and quotes include the best inspirational, funny, and drinking toasts for your New Year's Eve party.
Choosing Your New Year's Eve Quote
A New Year's toast offers the ideal opportunity to celebrate new beginnings with friends and family. The tradition of raising a glass in celebration dates back to early customs where a toast represented everything from hospitality and honor to promoting a long-lasting life. With a clink of a glass and the perfect New Year's quote, you can bestow blessings and friendship for the coming year.
Try one of our memorable, meaningful toasts this year -- including drinking toasts, amusing phrases, and inspirational quotes. Cheers!
Inspirational New Year's Toasts
- "Here's a toast to the future, a toast to the past, and a toast to our friends, far and near. The past a bright dream; may our friends remain faithful and clear."
- "May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live!"
- "As we start the New Year, let's get down on our knees to thank God we're on our feet."
- "Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." -- Benjamin Franklin
- "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." -- Edith Pierce
- "For last year's words belong to last year's language, and next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning." -- T.S. Eliot
- "Here's to a bright New Year and a fond farewell to the old; here's to the things that are yet to come, and to the memories that we hold."
Funny New Year's Toasts
- "Here's health to those I love and wealth to those who love me."
- "May all your troubles during the coming year be as short as your New Year's resolutions."
- "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow ye diet."
- "Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." -- Bill Vaughn
- "As you slide down the banisters of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way."
- "He who breaks a resolution is a weakling; he who makes one is a fool." -- F.M. Knowles
- "Here's to those who've seen us at our best and seen us at our worst and can't tell the difference."
- "Come, let us drink!" -- Francis Rabelais
- "In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it." -- Napoleon Bonaparte
- "Stir the eggnog, lift the toddy, Happy New Year, everybody." --Phyllis McGinley
- "There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of Champagne." -- Bette Davis
- "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway
- "Take everything in moderation, including moderation." -- Oscar Wilde
- "Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Best New Year's Toast
If none of the above tempts you, consider perennials such as "To you!" and "All the best." A classic quote can tie any New Year's toast together. For emergencies, memorize this bonus quote from Wallace Irwin:
- "I used to know a clever toast, but pshaw! I cannot think of it -- so fill your glass to anything and, bless your souls, I'll drink to it!"
Champagne Recipes for the New Year's Toast
As it's been said, a New Year's Eve quote is only as strong as the drink you raise alongside it. Enjoy our top-rated champagne cocktails, bubbly beverages, and crowd-pleasing appetizers. No matter how you cheer to the New Year, may your party be blessed with friendship, laughter, and food.