With designs inspired by Mother Nature, these fun-to-make coasters will help you master the technique of tiling.
2. Trace the patterns onto tracing paper. Use carbon paper to transfer the designs to the center of each tile. Trace over the carbon paper lines using marking pen.
3. Protect eyes with safety glasses. To break the tiles, use a cutting nipper or hammer. To break tile with a hammer, put tiles on a towel with the colored surface down. Tap with a hammer.
4. Using the patterns as color guides, glue the appropriate tiles inside the marking pen lines. Use a crafts stick to spread tile adhesive on the back of the tile pieces as you go. Fill in around the patterns using white tile pieces.
5. Mix grout according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spread grout on top of the tiles with a spatula and fingers, pressing grout in the spaces between tiles.
6. Wipe grout off the top of the tiles with a damp sponge. Let the grout set. Mix additional grout and spread around the edges with your fingers.