Special treats for a special pet will fit nicely inside. Finished cone is 6 inches tall.
- Pretreated painter's canvas
- White gesso
- 1-inch foam brushes
- Fine sanding block
- Tack cloth
- Tracing paper, masking tape, and graphite transfer paper
- Pen, pencil, or stylus
- Extender (a medium that lengthens drying time)
- Plastic wrap
- Paintbrushes: round, flat, and liner
- Black fine-tip permanent marking pen
- Matte acrylic spray
- Hole punch
- 2/3 yard of 3/8-inch-diameter decorative satin cording
- Glue gun and hot-melt adhesive
- FolkArt acrylic paint in burgundy and forest green
- DecoArt Americana acrylic paint in black plum and milk chocolate
- Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint in black, black cherry, and flesh tan
1. Download the free patterns. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Prepare the canvas. Using the foam brush, brush the front of the canvas with a coat of gesso. Let dry and sand lightly. Remove any sanding residue with a tack cloth. Repeat.
3. Prepare the back of the canvas as directed for the front.
4. Transfer the cone pattern. Trace the design onto tracing paper. Tape the traced design to the prepared canvas with the graphite transfer paper in between. Using a pen, pencil, or stylus, transfer only the outline of the cone to the canvas. Cut out the canvas on the drawn line. Set the pattern aside.
5. Paint a base coat of burgundy on both sides of the cone and let dry.
6. Mottle the cone. Mix black plum and black cherry paints, then add extender until mixture is the consistency of ink. Brush the paint mixture on the cone front. While the paint is still wet, take a small wad of plastic wrap, and tap it up and down on the paint. Let the paint dry.
7. Trace and transfer the puppy motif to the prepared surface. Also trace the lacing holes. (Note: Do not punch out the holes until the entire design is painted and dry.)
8. Paint the puppy. Paint the head, body, and bone with a base coat of flesh tan. Paint the ears, tail, feet, and collar with milk chocolate. Paint the holly leaves forest green and the berries burgundy. With a liner brush and black, paint the eyes, nose, and whiskers.
9. Add details and seal. Outline the entire design and add detailing with the marking pen, then spray with the sealer.
10. Punch holes and add cording. Punch out the holes on each side of the cone. At the narrow end of the cone, thread the cording through the bottom hole on each side; center the cording.
11. Assemble the cone. Roll the canvas into a cone, then lace the cording through all of the holes just as you would lace up a pair of shoes. Knot the cording at the top of the cone. Trim one tail close to the knot and secure with glue. Fold the other tail down to the knot, forming a hanging loop, and secure with glue.