What You Need:
This woven mat represents the
foundation of cultural
tradition and history.
- 3 or 4 rectangular sheets of 12-x9-inch construction paper in different colors
1. Fold black sheet of paper in half. Make sure it measures 6 by 9 inches.
2. Cut slits in paper. Take ruler and place next to the fold. Using your pencil, mark along the fold every inch. Do the same on the opposite edge. Then draw lines joining the opposite pencil marks. Cut through both thicknesses of paper along the pencil lines from the fold to about 1 inch from the unfolded edges. Unfold the sheet and set aside.
3. Make strips for weaving. Cut lengths of other sheets into 1-inch-wide strips that are 9 inches long.
4. Weave strips through black paper. Take one of the strips and weave it in and out of the cuts you made in the black sheet of construction paper. Choose a strip of another color to weave in next. Continue weaving in strips, alternating colors.
5. Secure ends of strips. You can either glue down ends to secure them or leave them as they are.