Perhaps this star also will remind you of African ancestors, looking up at the night sky to find their way home. Finished size is about 17x17 inches.
- 5/8 yard of light gold moire taffeta (piecing, backing)
- 1/3 yard of gold moire taffeta (piecing)
- 8x12-inch piece of ecru moire taffeta (piecing)
- 22x22-inch piece of lightweight underlining fabric
- Two 12x22-inch pieces of fusible interfacing
- Matching sewing thread
- 2 yards of 3/16-inch-diameter cord piping with ready-to-sew-in flange
- 1-inch-wide gold star-shaped button
- Polyester fiberfill
- Template plastic
Note: All sewing is done with right sides together, unless otherwise noted. Use 1/2-inch seam allowances.
1. Download the pattern and assembly diagram. (Download requires free Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Cut out diamond pattern. Enlarge the pattern onto template plastic; cut out, adding 1/2-inch seam allowances beyond drawn lines.
3. Cut the fabrics. From light gold moire, cut two diamonds and two 12x22-inch backing pieces. From gold moire, cut two diamonds. From ecru moire, cut one diamond.
4. Sew diamonds together. Referring to assembly diagram, lay out the diamonds as shown; sew together. Begin sewing at small dot and end at large dot; do not sew into seam allowances. Backstitch at each dot to secure seam. Trim seam allowances to 1/4 inch; press in a clockwise direction, flattening the center seam extensions to form a small star on back.
5. Stabilize bias-cut edges. Pin the pieced pillow front to the underlining fabric with right side up; baste 1/2 inch from the raw edges of pillow front, rounding the points. Trim underlining even with pillow front.
6. Add piping. Pin piping cord to right side of pillow front with rounded edge of piping facing inward and flat extension atop basting line; overlap ends at center bottom. With zipper foot, sew piping to pillow front; clip seam allowance of piping at corners for a better fit. Trim excess piping.
7. Assemble backing. Fuse interfacing to backing pieces, following manufacturer's instructions. Pin and sew long edges of backing pieces together, leaving a 4-inch-long opening in the center for turning pillow; press seam allowance open.
8. Assemble and stuff pillow. Pin pillow front to backing fabric, centering pillow front over the center back seam. Sew atop previous stitching, rounding the points. Clip corners and trim seam allowances; turn right side out. Stuff pillow firmly with polyester fiberfill; slip-stitch opening closed.
9. Add center star. Sew star button to center of pillow through all layers.