- Tracing paper
- Black, green, red, yellow, and gold art papers
- Crafts knife
- Metal-edge ruler
- Large-hole punch
- Crafts glue
- 6-1/2x4-3/4 inch transparent envelope
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Trace patterns. Trace the corncob and husk patterns onto tracing paper; cut out the shapes.
3. Make base. From the black art paper, cut a 6x9-inch rectangle for the card base. Referring to the Base Diagram, cut 8-inch-long slits 1/2-inch apart in the card base, using the metal-edge ruler and a crafts knife. Begin and end the slits 1/2-inch from the 6-inch edges of the card base.
4. Make colored strips and corncob shapes. From the green art paper, cut seven 1/2x6-inch strips. Trace each husk shape once onto the green art paper; cut out the shapes. From the red art paper, cut six 1/2x6-inch strips. Traced the corncob shape onto both the yellow and the gold art papers; cut out the shapes. Use the large-hole punch to punch holes all over the gold corncob for corn kernels.
5. Weave strips into base. Weave a 1/2x6-inch green paper strip over and under the strips in the black card base. Continue weaving the red and green paper strips in the base, alternating colors. When the weaving is complete, bring the 6-inch edges of the card base in toward the center; finger-crease a fold after the second green strip from each 6-inch edge.
6. Attach corncobs. Glue the gold and yellow corncob shapes together. Glue the husks to the corncob, overlapping the husks at the bottom. Glue the ear of corn, centered, inside the card base.