What You Need:
- 15x17 inch piece of fleece
- 1/2 yard of 45 inch-wide red-and-tan check cotton fabric
- 1/8 yard of blue striped fabric
- 1 inch-diameter twig or dowel
- 3 3/4 inch-diameter wooden heart-shaped buttons
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Center and baste the fleece to the back of the stitched piece. Use a sharp needle to work the running stitches through all layers. Centering the design, trim the top edge 1 3/4 inches beyond the stitches. Trim the bottom and sides 1 inch beyond the stitches. The piece should measure 10-5/8x12-3/8 inches.
3. From the red-and-tan check fabric, cut one 2-1/2x12-1/2 inch top sashing strip, two 1-5/8x13-1/2 inch side strips, and one 1-5/8x12-1x2 inch bottom sashing strip. With right sides facing, use 1/2 inch seams to sew the top and bottom sashing strips to the appropriate edges; press toward the sashing and trim the seam. Sew the side sashing strips to the sides in the same manner. Use the pieced flag to cut a matching back from the red-and-tan check. Set the flag and back aside.
4. For the tabs, from the blue striped fabric, cut six 5-1/2x3-1x2 inch strips. Fold each in half to form a 5-1/2x1-3x4 inch rectangle. Using a 1/4 inch seam, sew along one long edge; then taper the one short end into a point. Turn right side out and press.
5. Pin the three tabs evenly along the top edge of the pieced flag, aligning the raw edges. Use 1/2 inch seam to sew the pieced flag front to the flag back, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning. Trim seams and clip the corners; turn right side out. Slip-stitch the opening closed.
6. Fold the tabs around the twig, from back to front, and secure to the top sashing by sewing a button through all layers.