Decorate your home with this patriotic stitch design.
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Center and baste the fleece to the back of the stitched piece. Use a sharp needle to work the running stitches through all layers. Centering the design, trim the top edge 1 3/4 inches beyond the stitches. Trim the bottom and sides 1 inch beyond the stitches. The piece should measure 10-5/8x12-3/8 inches.
3. From the red-and-tan check fabric, cut one 2-1/2x12-1/2 inch top sashing strip, two 1-5/8x13-1/2 inch side strips, and one 1-5/8x12-1x2 inch bottom sashing strip. With right sides facing, use 1/2 inch seams to sew the top and bottom sashing strips to the appropriate edges; press toward the sashing and trim the seam. Sew the side sashing strips to the sides in the same manner. Use the pieced flag to cut a matching back from the red-and-tan check. Set the flag and back aside.
4. For the tabs, from the blue striped fabric, cut six 5-1/2x3-1x2 inch strips. Fold each in half to form a 5-1/2x1-3x4 inch rectangle. Using a 1/4 inch seam, sew along one long edge; then taper the one short end into a point. Turn right side out and press.
5. Pin the three tabs evenly along the top edge of the pieced flag, aligning the raw edges. Use 1/2 inch seam to sew the pieced flag front to the flag back, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning. Trim seams and clip the corners; turn right side out. Slip-stitch the opening closed.
6. Fold the tabs around the twig, from back to front, and secure to the top sashing by sewing a button through all layers.