- 1-1/4 yards of 45-inch-wide striped pillow-ticking fabric
- 1 yard of fusible polyester fleece
- Graph paper
- Erasable fabric marker
- 1-1/2 yards of 56-inch-wide white wool fabric or equivalent scraps
- 1-1/4 yards of 56-inch-wide red wool fabric or equivalent scraps
- 1 yard of 56-inch-wide blue wood fabric or equivalent scraps
- Rotary cutter; cutting mat
- White sewing thread
- Liquid latex rug backing
1. Cut a 32-1/2 x 43-inch rectangle from ticking and fleece. Fuse fleece to wrong side of ticking. Clean finished edges. Enlarge star pattern; cut out. Draw around pattern on ticking. Draw lines extending from star points to indicate blue/red color change.
2. Cut wool fabrics into 2-inch squares, using rotary cutter. Cut 752 white squares, 588 red squares, and 504 blue squares.
3. For first row, fold the two opposite edges of each of approximately 40 blue squares to center; finger-press. Pin folded squares side by side with one short edge aligned to ticking stripe 2-1/2 inches from the edges; leave 1-1/2 inches on each end free. Machine-stitch squares to ticking, sewing across center of each folded square.
4. Finger-press stitched squares toward outer edge of rug. Fold and align a second row of blue squares with next row of ticking stripe, stitch. Last row of stitching should be 1-1/2 inches from the edge.
5. Turn seam allowance to wrong side, mitering corners; whip-stitch in place. Paint back of rug with liquid latex rug backing.
Continued on page 2: Striped Pillows