Small wool squares are folded and stitched to pillow ticking, creating this flurry of patriotic fabric designs.
1. Cut a 32-1/2 x 43-inch rectangle from ticking and fleece. Fuse fleece to wrong side of ticking. Clean finished edges. Enlarge star pattern; cut out. Draw around pattern on ticking. Draw lines extending from star points to indicate blue/red color change.
2. Cut wool fabrics into 2-inch squares, using rotary cutter. Cut 752 white squares, 588 red squares, and 504 blue squares.
3. For first row, fold the two opposite edges of each of approximately 40 blue squares to center; finger-press. Pin folded squares side by side with one short edge aligned to ticking stripe 2-1/2 inches from the edges; leave 1-1/2 inches on each end free. Machine-stitch squares to ticking, sewing across center of each folded square.
4. Finger-press stitched squares toward outer edge of rug. Fold and align a second row of blue squares with next row of ticking stripe, stitch. Last row of stitching should be 1-1/2 inches from the edge.
5. Turn seam allowance to wrong side, mitering corners; whip-stitch in place. Paint back of rug with liquid latex rug backing.
(for each pillow)
1. Fuse fleece to back of ticking. Use fabric marker to draw wavy or bunting stripe pattern on ticking. Make wavy stripes about 5 inches wide. Make blue rectangle in bunting approximately 16 x 6 inches and red and white stripes about 2-5/8 inches wide. Cut wool fabrics into 2-inch squares using a rotary cutter.
2. For first row, fold opposite edges of approximately 16 squares (all red for wavy pattern, 6 blue and 10 red for bunting) to the center and finger-press. Pin folded squares side by side with one short edge aligned to ticking stripe 2-1/2 inches from edge; leave 1-1/2 inches on each end free. Machine-stitch squares to ticking, sewing across center of each folded square. Finger-press stitched squares toward outer edge of pillow. Fold and align a second row of squares with next row of ticking; stitch.
3. Add rows, changing colors as indicated by stripe markings. Last row of stitching should be 1-1/2 inches from edge.
4. To assemble, sew pillow front to back, right sides facing, about 1/2 inch beyond last row of wool squares, leaving an opening for turning. Trim corners; turn right side out. Stuff pillows with fiberfill; slip-stitch the opening closed.