Finished size: 16 x 16 inches.
What You Need:
- One 9-1/2-inch completed, unfinished Fireworks quilt block, in coordinating colors
Don't forget your chairs in
the decorating process.
- 1/4 yard of solid red fabric
- 1/8 yard of navy print fabric
- 1/8 yard of striped fabric
- 17-inch backing square
- 17-inch batting square
All seam allowances are 1/4 inch wide.
Cut the Fabric:
From solid red, cut:
- Two 1 x 16-1/2 inch outside border strips
- Two 1 x 15-1/2 inch outside border strips
- Four 3-1/2-inch corner squares
From striped print, cut:
- Four 3-1/2 x 9-1/2-inch border strips
From navy print, cut:
- Four 1 x 21-1/2-inch tie strips
Make the Top:
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat.)
2. Sew a 3-1/2 x 9-1/2-inch striped border strip to each side of the block.
3. Sew a red 3-1/2-inch square to each side of remaining 3-1/2 x 9-1/2-inch striped border strips.
4. Sew one strip to top and bottom of block. Add 1 x 15-1/2-inch border strip to each side of block. Then sew a 1 x 16-1/2-inch border strip to top and bottom of block. Press seams toward border.
Assemble the Cushion:
1. Fold each 1 x 21-1/2-inch navy tie strip in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew lengthwise, sewing one end closed at an angle. Turn right side out; press.
2. Stack together two tie strips at 1/4 inch from each corner on top edge of block front with raw edges together at edges of block, the ties hanging down toward center of right side of block. Stitch ties in place.
3. Lay block on backing fabric, right sides together, then lay both pieces together on batting. Baste. Trim backing and batting to size of chairback block. Stitch together leaving a 4-inch opening at bottom edge. Turn and press.
4. Stitch the opening closed. Quilt as desired.