- Tracing paper
- 5-inch-square thin cardboard box with separate lid
- Small piece of tile
- Utility knife with #11 blade
- Gold spray paint
- Glitter gold paint pen
- 1-foot cloth window screen
- Thick white crafts glue
- Pearls on a string
1. Trace design for box lid. Trace a simple, seasonal pattern you like onto tracing paper. If necessary, use a photocopier to make the design larger or smaller to fit.
2. Transfer design to lid. Center tracing paper pattern on top of the box lid, pencil side down, and retrace over the back of the design. Remove the pattern.
3. Cut out the design. Place the lid on a piece of tile and use a utility knife to cut out the design. (The tile will allow the knife to glide.)
4. Cut diamond shapes. Cut a 2-inch-square piece of paper for the diamond pattern on the sides of the box. Center the pattern on each side, 1/2 inch up from the bottom edge, and trace around the pattern. Use utility knife and a ruler to cut out the diamonds.
5. Paint box and lid. Spray the box and lid with gold spray paint. Use glitter gold paint pen to outline the lid design with dots.
6. Cut screening. Cut a 5-inch-square piece of window screen and glue to the inside of the lid. Cut and glue a 3-inch square of screen to the inside, behind each of the diamond cutouts.
7. Add pearls. Glue a row of pearls around the outside edge of the lid and another row of pearls around the bottom edge of the side of the lid. Glue a row of pearls around the diamond shapes on all four sides of the box.More Ideas:
- Books of stencil patterns are one good source of pattern ideas for the lid design.
- Present wrapped candies or baked goods in these beautiful gift containers.
- Replace the screen with colorful cellophane if using for a gift box.