Decorate a Desk Set for a Father's Day Gift
Give Dad a hand-decorated desk set that includes storage boxes, a pencil holder, letter holder, and memo board.
What You'll Need
- Two octagonal papier-mache boxes
- Pencil holder
- Small letter holder
- Brown suede scrapbook paper
- Map scrapbook paper
- Wallpaper or scrapbook paper in tan and burgundy
- Spray adhesive
- Tan grosgrain ribbon
- Fabric glue
- 16 wooden ball feet
- Copper paint
- Crafts glue
- Four antique-finish brass knobs
- One washer to fit brass knob
- Two copper nameplate brackets
- Paper scraps
- Letter stickers in black or brown
How to Make It
1. Using our photograph, the papier-mache boxes, and the desk set pieces as guides, cut wallpaper and/or scrapbook papers to cover the box and set pieces, using different combinations of paper as desired. Use spray adhesive to adhere papers to each piece.
2. Embellish the desk accessories by adhering grosgrain ribbon to each item using fabric glue.
3. Paint the wooden ball feet with copper paint; let dry.
4. Use crafts glue to adhere four painted wooden balls to the bottom of each papier-mache box, the letter holder, and the pencil holder.
5. Drill a hole in the center of the small papier-mache box lid and screw the brass knob in place using a washer on the inside of the lid so the knob doesn't pull through.
6. Drill three evenly spaced holes along the wooden frame at the bottom edge of the memo board. Screw brass knobs into the holes.
7. Use crafts glue to attach copper nameplate brackets to the memo board and letter holder. Cut a paper scrap to fit into each bracket. Before inserting, label each one using letter stickers. Insert the paper scraps into the brackets.