What You'll Need
- Tracing paper and pencil
- 5x14-inch piece of slate blue felted wool
- 7-inch square of ivory felted wool
- 12x18-inch piece of black felted wool for applique background
- Quilter's pencil
- Wool floss: light tan, dark red, slate blue
- 10-1/2x16-1/2-inch piece of backing fabric
- Polyester fiberfill
How to Make It
1. Download the free pattern. Trace patterns A & B onto tracing paper and cut out. Cut one of pattern A (the word "America") from slate blue wool and one of pattern B (the baseball) from ivory wool.
2. Referring to the photograph for placement, center the ivory circle on the black wool 12x18-inch rectangle; baste in place.
3. Using one strand of light tan floss, blanket-stitch around the ivory wool circle.
4. Referring to pattern B, use a quilter's pencil to mark the seams on the stitched ivory circle.
5. Using two strands of dark red floss, stem-stitch on the drawn lines.
6. Using one strand of dark red floss, add straight stitches along the stem stitched lines to complete the baseball.
7. Center the slate blue "America" across the stitched baseball shape, placing the word toward the bottom third of the ball; baste in place.
8. Using one strand of slate blue floss, tack-stitch the word in place. Use the star to dot the "i."
9. Mark stars on the top third of the black wool rectangle with the pencil if desired. Using one strand of light tan floss, stitch the star outlines with a running stitch.
10. Trim the appliqued black rectangle to measure 10-1/2x16-1/2 inches, including the seam allowances, to make the pillow top.
11. With the right sides together, place the appliqued top on the 10-1/2x16-1/2-inch backing rectangle.
12. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, machine-stitch around the edges, leaving a 2-inch opening at the bottom.
13. Turn right side out. Stuff firmly with fiberfill. Stitch the opening closed.