Create a Pretty Spring Centerpiece
Decorate for Easter or simply to celebrate spring with this colorful display made of wood blocks and other easy-to-find crafts supplies.
- 1-1/2-inch-thick wood pieces with rounded edges: (2) 3 x 4 inches; (2) 3 1/2 x 5 inches; (2) 3 3/4 x 5 3/4 inches
- (3) 1-1/2-inch-long wooden eggs
- (1) each of seasonal 12-x-12-inch scrapbook paper (We used these patterns from The Paper Company Studio: Secret Garden Ivy Vine; Secret Garden Wild Flowers; Secret Garden Peach Stripes; and Secret Garden Roses)
- (6) 4-inch chipboard letters to spell "spring"
- Assorted chipboard flowers
- Flower stickers
- Dimensional adhesive foam circles
- Natural excelsior (for nest)
- Craft Bond™ Extra Strength Glue Stick
- Painters® Chisel Tip Copper Leafing Pen
- X-ACTO® Gripster® Knife & Cutting Mat
- Fine sandpaper
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Plan scrapbook paper placement on wood pieces. Working on cutting mat, place wood pieces on paper and trim around edges with X-ACTO Knife. Attach paper to wood pieces with glue stick.
- On each wood piece, distress edges of paper by sanding from edge of paper out, away from paper. (Sanding secures the paper to the wood.)
- Glue coordinating papers to chipboard letters and flowers. Cut around edges of chipboard pieces, then distress edges with sand paper.
- Use copper paint marker to paint outside edges of letters and make scroll designs on bottoms of letters. (Refer to photo.)
- Attach paper flower stickers onto centers of chipboard flowers.
- Randomly place and attach letters and chipboard flowers to front of wood pieces using dimensional adhesive foam circles.
- Gather excelsior into a circular nest and place wooden eggs in center.
- Display finished design on tabletop or shelf with nest placed among the wood pieces, angled as desired.
- Arrange letters vertically and glue coordinated ribbon to the back to display as a wall hanging.
- On opposite side of wood pieces, spell the word "EASTER" and decorate with Easter-theme stickers to create a reversible design.
- Affix photos to the pieces and decorate with themed stickers.