What You Need:
- Tracing paper
- Felt sheets in black, orange, green, and white
- Sewing threads in orange and black
- Sewing needle
- 1 orange and 4 blue beads
- Glue stick
- 5x8-inch brown paper bags
- Cotton embroidery floss in black, emerald green, and burnt orange
- Assorted buttons in black, yellow, green, orange, and Halloween motifs
1. Download the free patterns. (This requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Trace/cut patterns. Trace the patterns onto tracing paper and cut out. Using patterns, cut one of each pumpkin on orange felt, three pumpkin stems on green felt, one cat on black felt, and two ghosts on white felt. Cut out shapes.
3. Add eyes/shapes. Stitch two blue beads on each ghost and one orange bead to cat for eyes. Glue can also be used as a substitute if you're in a hurry. Glue the felt shapes to paper bags using the photo as a guide for placement.
4. Stitch shapes. Use three strands of floss to stitch straight stitches around the edges of the felt shapes. Stitch the pumpkin with emerald green floss, the cat with burnt orange floss, and the ghosts with emerald green floss. Again, if in a rush glue the felt shpes to the bag.
5. Decorate bags. With a pencil, lightly write "OH PUMPKIN PUMPKIN" on the pumpkin bag, "SCAREDY CAT" on the cat bag, and "CATCH ME" and "BOO" on the ghost bag. Draw curly vines to the center pumpkin stem. Using three strands of floss, stitch straight stitches to stitch "OH PUMPKIN PUMPKIN," "SCAREDY CAT," and vines with emerald green floss; "CATCH ME" with black floss; and "BOO" with burnt orange floss. Stitch the buttons on the bags as desired.