What You Need:
this pretty homemade gift box.
- Crayola Model Magic clay
- Rolling pin
- Small heart cookie cutter
- Butter knife
- Thick white crafts glue
- Round box with lid approximately 6 inches in diameter and
3-1/2 inches high
- Acrylic paints in white, red, green, pale and bright yellow, and blue
- Fine-point and small flat paintbrushes
- White gel stain
- Damp, soft cloth
1. Roll out clay to a thickness of approximately 3/16 inch. Cut out four small hearts with cookie cutter. Set aside to dry. 2. Shape each leaf by forming a marble-size ball out of clay. Flatten it into an oval shape and press a crease into the center with the blade of a knife. 3. Form seven or eight small balls to place in the center of the flower. To make the blue flowers around the edge, form five balls of clay for each flower. Shape tiny leaves out of clay. Let shapes dry. 4. Glue clay shapes onto the lid and sides of the box. 5. Coil a piece of clay into a 1/8-inch-thick rope to trim the edge of lid. Place a thin line of glue around the edge and add the rope of clay around the edge, meeting at each flower. Let the clay dry on the box. 6. Paint the entire box, inside and out, using white. Let the paint dry. Paint pale yellow over the white. Slightly overlap the paint onto the flowers and rope. Let the paint dry. Paint the large flowers red, the leaves and rope green, the small flowers blue, and all the flower centers bright yellow. Let the paint dry. 7. Coat the entire outside of the box and the lid using a generous amount of white gel stain. Brush the gel stain into all of the crevices of the clay design. 8. Let the gel just begin to dry and gently wipe off with the damp, soft cloth. Wipe off just enough to remove the top surface, leaving the white stain in the crevices. Let the stain dry. 9. Fill the box with purchased or homemade potpourri.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters to make gift boxes for the holidays.
- Decorate the lid of a plain photo storage box using this method.