What You Need:
Mail these sets as gifts. Roll the
mats around a paper tube, wrap
and tie with a ribbon.
- 1-1/2 oz./42.5g cotton 4-ply worsted-weight yard -- 2 skeins of solid color, 3 skeins of multicolored yarn
- Crochet hook size J
- 3 yards of 2-1/4-inch-wide ribbon
1. Holding one strand of each yarn color together, chain 27. Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook, draw up a loop in same chain as first single crochet, draw up a loop in next chain, yarn over and draw through 3 loops on hook. Draw up a loop in same chain as last stitch, draw up a loop in next chain, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook; repeat from across -- 26 stitches; turn.
2. Chain 1, single crochet in first stitch, draw up a loop in same stitch as first single crochet, draw up a loop in next single crochet, yarn over and draw through 3 loops on hook. Draw up a loop in same stitch as last stitch, draw up a loop in next stitch, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook; repeat from across; turn. Repeat this row for 38 times more. Fasten off.
3. Join one strand of multicolored yarn with a slip stitch in right corner. In same space as joint, (single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, half double crochet,single crochet - scallop made). Working along one short edge first, across to corner. For long edge, skip 1 row, make a scallop in side of next row; repeat to corner. Work remaining sides as established. At end, join with a slip stitch in first single crochet and fasten off.
4. Beginning at top center, weave ribbon under and over every two crochet stitches one row in from edge. Tie ends into a bow.
- Purchase yarn in crafts, discount, and fabric stores as well as in knitting and crochet shops.
- Scraps of yarns can be combined to make a multicolored mat.
- Once you've made a mat or two, this project is a great in-the-car project.