Let your dog relax on this
country-style pet bed.
Looking for a way to keep your pooch or pussycat off the sofa? Maybe -- just maybe -- providing your four-footed family friend with his or her very own comfy couch will do the trick. We gave our pet bed an off-white antiqued finish that should withstand gnawing. For a perfect-fitting mattress, sew a simple square pillow. It'll let Rover roll over in comfort.
Note: Be sure to print out and study all instructions as well as the plans displayed on the last page of this article.
You'll need intermediate woodworking skills and a few power tools to get the job done. Construction should take a day or so, plus several evenings for filling nail holes, sanding, and applying a finish. Cost: approximately $50.What You Need:
- Table, radial-arm, or portable circular saw
- Tape measure
- Framing square
- Combination square
- Bar or pipe clamps
- Nail set
- 80-, 100-, and 120-grit sandpaper
- Four 16-inch pieces of 2 x 2 lumber for the uprights (A)
- Four 21-inch pieces of 2 x 2 lumber for the cross members (B)
- Two 8-1/2 x 21-1/2-inch pieces of 3/8-inch plywood beaded-board paneling for the end panels (C)
- Two 27-3/4-inch pieces of 1 x 6 lumber for the side rails (D)
- One 22-1/4 x 27-inch piece of 3/8-inch plywood beaded-board paneling for the bottom (E)
- Four 3 x 3-inch pieces of 1/2-inch lumber for the caps (F)
- Four 2-inch-diameter wood ball finials (G)
- Woodworker's glue, finishing nails
- Wood filler
- Primer and paint, or stain and clear finish
- Pillow sized to fit the bed (approx. 22 x 28 inches)