choose the vet you'll be most
comfortable working with.
You and your vet are your dog's health care team; you observe and report, your vet diagnoses and treats. Your veterinarian will arrange a schedule of vaccinations and regular check-ups, maintain a medical history of your dog, and provide preventive, critical, and emergency care. Your partnership with your vet will be a long-term relationship. Working together, you and your vet can help your dog have a healthy, happy life.
Start your search by asking people you know for recommendations. Turn to:
- your breeder, friends, family members, coworkers and neighbors who have dogs.
- your local kennel club, your local or state veterinary association.
- your local yellow pages.
Ask fellow dog owners:
- Are you happy with your vet?
- What is the name of your vet?
- Why did you choose this vet?
- Can you tell me about a specific situation and why you feel your vet handled it well?
Compile a list of at least six vets to check out.