This program is designed to ease you into a regular walking routine. Start out slowly and you'll enjoy it more, build your confidence, and reduce your risk of injury. Even at a slow pace, you'll feel more energetic and be in a better mood.
- You currently walk less than 60-90 minutes per day on your job or in your everyday activities, such as walking to the bus or chasing after kids.
- You are severely overweight and unfit.
- You are recovering from an injury, illness, or surgery, or you currently have a chronic condition that limits activity.
Duration: 10 minutes Frequency: 3 days Pace: Whatever is comfortable.
Duration: 15 minutes Frequency: 4 days Pace: As if you are in a hurry; after walking for 10 minutes, you should have covered more distance than you did last week.
Duration: 20 minutes Frequency: 5 days Pace: As if you are in a hurry.
Duration: 30 minutes Frequency: 5 days Pace: As if you are in a hurry.
- Maintain a comfortable pace at first; pushing too hard increases your odds of injury.
- Your "hurry up" pace should have you breathing deeper than normal but should not leave you too breathless to carry on a conversation.
- By week four, you should be covering 1-1/2 to 2 miles in 30 minutes.
Continued on page 4: Speed-Circuit Plan