Total Body Workout
This full-body workout tones all of your major muscle groups, increases your energy, and improves your heart health.
Everything In This Slideshow
1 of 15
1. Holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height, elbows bent and palms forward, stand with feet solidly on the ground hip-width apart.
2. Stretch your left leg out to the side in a deep lunge, bending your right knee and keeping the right foot anchored. Hold the position.
Return to the original stance. Switch sides and repeat exercise on right side.
Perform three sets of 10-12 reps.
2 of 15
1. With feet hip-width apart, stand with a dumbbell in each hand, holding them in front of you with the back of your hands facing forward. Bend forward from the hips until your torso is parallel to the ground and weights rest close to the shins. Keep your torso straight and head in line with the spine.
2. Slowly, return to an upright position. Bend over again and repeat.
Perform three sets of 10-12 reps
3 of 15
Standing Calf Raise
1. With a dumbbell in each hand, step up onto a stair using the ball of your right foot. Lift the left foot back slightly and keep it stationary.
2. Raise yourself up a few inches, pushing up into the stair with the ball of your right foot and hold for 2 seconds. Then, return to starting position.
Perform three sets of 10-12 reps on your right leg, then repeat on your left leg.
4 of 15
1. Stand with feet hip-width apart holding a dumbbell in each hand at your sides, palms facing forward.
2. Keeping elbows at your sides, curl weights up toward shoulders and down again. Do 7 reps in this position, then 7 more curling only up to waist height.
3. Do the final 7 reps from waist level up to shoulders for a total of 21 curls.
5 of 15
Bosu Ball Push-Up
1. Place a Bosu ball on the floor and position your hands on top of the ball with arms stretched out straight under your shoulders. Situate feet in a wide V.
2. Bend your arms at your elbows and lower your chest to the ball, keeping the body straight. Slowly push back up.
Do three sets of 10-12 reps.
6 of 15
Dumbbell Pullover on Stability Ball
1. Lie with upper back resting on a stability ball, knees bent 90 degrees, and feet shoulder-width apart. Hold a smaller ball or weight with both hands and arms extended over your chest. Drop hips slightly, using your abs to stabilize.
2. Slowly lower ball behind you until arms are parallel to the floor. Return to start, squeezing your back and chest muscles.
Do three sets of 10-12 reps.
7 of 15
Side-Lying Rear Delt Raise
1. Lie on your right side on the floor with knees bent 90 degrees. Support your head with your right hand. Hold a dumbbell in your left hand, palm down, extend arm in front of you.
2. Keeping torso still, lift left arm straight up until weight is aligned over the shoulder (arm is not quite perpendicular to the floor).
Do two sets of 10-12 reps on your left arm, then lie on your left side and repeat on right arm.
8 of 15
Bench Reverse Curl
1. Lying on your back on a bench, hold the end of the bench behind your head with both hands and raise bent legs so your shins are parallel with the ceiling.
2. Keeping head and neck on the bench, curl hips up and in toward your elbows. Use your abs to bring your hips toward your chest. Don't move your knees. Hold for two seconds, then lower back to start.
Do three sets of 10-12 reps.
9 of 15
Bent-Over Row/Fly Combo
1. Place right knee and right hand on a chair, leaning over parallel to the chair. Stand with left foot next to chair and grasp a dumbbell in left hand with arm extended straight down.
2. Bending elbow, lift left hand up to ribs, then lower.
3. Raise left arm out to side to shoulder height (with elbow soft) then lower. Repeat 10 times. Then switch sides. Do up to three sets of 10 reps on each side.
10 of 15
1. Tie a resistance band to a sturdy object or close in a door near floor level and grasp an end in each hand. Step forward until band is taut and stand with one foot in front of the other (in a slight lunge), arms near your sides.
2. With elbows slightly bent, bring hands in a wide arc to chest height.
3. Bring hands together in front of chest, keeping arms extended. Hold for two counts and lower slowly to starting position. Do up to three sets of 10 reps.
11 of 15
Plank with Leg Lift
1. Get in a push-up position with a bench under your shins, toes resting on bench, and hands aligned under shoulders.
2. Lift one leg a few inches off the bench. Lower and repeat with opposite leg.
Perform up to three sets of 8-10 lifts per leg.
12 of 15
1. Stand several inches in front of a chair with your feet hip-width apart and your arms to your sides. Keeping knees aligned over your toes, extend your arms in front of you and lower your hips as if you were going to sit in the chair.
2. Hover above the seat, as little as an inch off the seat if you can, for 6-8 counts, then stand up and repeat.
Perform three sets of 10 reps.
13 of 15
1. With feet hip-width apart and arms bent at your side, lower into a squat.
2. Use your arms for momentum and jump up and forward about a foot. (Start with small hops, if necessary.) Do 6-10 jumps in that direction. Repeat in each direction once.
14 of 15
Bridge with Hamstring Curl
1. Lie on your back face up with heels on a stability ball, hands palm down on the floor at your sides. Keeping the ball steady, lift hips until your body forms a line from your feet to your shoulders.
2. Bend knees, bringing heels in toward the back of your thighs, keeping hips lifted as high as possible. Hold for 1 count, straighten legs, and repeat.
Perform two sets of 8-10 reps.
Next Slideshow 10 Minute Workout to Toned Abs, Legs and Arms
10 Minute Workout to Toned Abs, Legs and ArmsThese multitasking moves from our sister magazine Fitness will tone your abs, legs, and upper arms. Jonathan Ross, owner of Aion Fitness in Bowie, Maryland, shows you five quick exercises perfect for busy schedules. Grab a pair of 5- to 10-pound dumbbells and a mat, and get ready to trim, tighten and tone.Begin Slideshow »