5 Tips for Sublime Sleep
It's hard to get a good night's sleep, especially if you sabotage your own slumber.
- Don't leave bright lights on after 8 p.m. Light tells your body that it's still daytime, therefore not time for bed.
- Don't exercise in the final three hours before bedtime. This has been shown to invigorate you.
- Don't stare at the clock. Turn it to face the wall if you have trouble falling asleep. Checking it every few minutes to see how little time you have left to sleep will only make you more anxious.
- Don't stay in bed if you find yourself struggling to sleep. Leave the bedroom and do something relaxing. Try again when you feel sleepy.
- Don't drink alcohol within four hours of bedtime because it will cause shallow sleep. And don't drink coffee or other caffeine-laden beverages from noon on. Your afternoon jolt may cost you: The stimulating effects of caffeine last up to 12 hours.