- 4 1/4 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 clear plastic bags or 6-inch-square pieces of colored cellophane wrap
1. Plan on using the seeds from about four pumpkins for this recipe. If you don't have enough, ask your friends to share the seeds from their pumpkins with you.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine pumpkin seeds, cooking oil, and salt. Spread mixture onto a waxed-paper-lined 15-x-10-x-1-inch baking pan. Let stand for 24 to 48 hours or until dry, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove waxed paper from baking pan. Toast seeds in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once or twice. Let cool slightly. Pat seeds with paper towels to remove excess oil.
4. Package 1/4 cup of the seeds in each bag or place seeds in the center of cellophane wrap, then bring up edges. Tie closed with the ribbon. Makes 16 (1/4 cup) servings.
Tip: Use this crunchy snack for prizes in a pumpkin race. Divide the kids into two groups. Give each group a pumpkin and have the kids race by rolling the pumpkin with their feet, hands, or noses.