- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 recipe Brown Sugar Glaze (see below)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
3. Beat in the egg and pumpkin. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
4. Drop dough by a rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake cookies in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops seem firm.
5. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
6. Spread cooled cookies with Brown Sugar Glaze. Makes 42 cookies.Brown Sugar Glaze:
1. In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, and 1 tablespoon milk. Heat and stir until butter melts.
2. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Nutrition facts per cookie: 109 calories, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein.