Using brushstrokes of metallic paint adds a contemporary touch to this beauty from the pumpkin patch.
1. Paint checkerboard. Paint a teal checkerboard design on the pumpkin. To begin, start with the center of the pumpkin. Paint 1-inch squares around the center of the pumpkin. Continue making 1-inch checks over the entire pumpkin, alternating the positions as shown. Let the paint dry.
2. Decorate checkerboard. To add squiggles, draw them on top of the painted checkerboard as desired. Let it dry. To add dots between the painted checks, dip the eraser end of a pencil into purple paint. Carefully dot on the surface where desired. Let the paint dry.
Colorful plastic-coated wires seem to grow on the miniature pumpkin. Holes poked in the pumpkin anchor the vertical wires and separate wires twist around the stem.
1. Poke holes for wires. Using an ice pick, poke tiny holes at the top of each pumpkin crevice around the stem. Repeat on the bottom of the pumpkin.
2. Insert wires. Cut lengths of wire to reach from a top hole to a bottom hole, adding 2 inches. Bend over 1 inch at the end of a wire length. Push the short folded-over end into a hole at the top of the pumpkin. Gently pull the wire down the crevice of the pumpkin and firmly push the remaining wire end into the hole at the bottom. Repeat for each set of holes.
3. Add decorative top. Cut a 3-inch piece of each color of wire. Twist together at one end. Wrap around stem as desired.