No-Carve Dog Pumpkin for Halloween
Have a passion for pets? Then add this puppy pumpkin to your collection of furry friends for Halloween. The dog jack-o'-lantern requires no carving -- just some construction paper, scissors, and glue.
- Construction paper: tan, yellow, orange, and black
- Rounded pumpkin for head
- Small bowl (optional)
- Elongated pumpkin for body
- Two small squash for back legs
- Two pumpkin squash for front paws
How to Make It
1. Print our pattern, enlarge to desired size, and print.
2. Trace pattern pieces onto construction paper, matching the pattern piece colors to its designated construction paper colors (tan pattern pieces are traced onto tan construction paper, etc.).
3. Cut out all of the pieces.
4. For the ears, glue the smaller orange inner ear to the tan outer ear. The dotted lines on the outer ear pattern piece indicate where the inner ear should go. Fold the top end of the outer ear over to form a tab. Glue the tab to the pumpkin so the ears stick out as shown in the photo; repeat for second ear.
5. For the eyes, glue the tan inner eye and the black pupil to the yellow inner eye. The dotted lines on the yellow inner ear pattern piece indicate where the tan inner eye and black pupil should go; repeat for second eye. Glue assembled eyes to the pumpkin. Then glue the orange eye lids around the eyes as shown in the photograph.
6. For the nose, glue the yellow nose piece to the orange nose piece; the dotted line on the orange nose pattern piece indicates where the orange and yellow nose pieces should overlap. Glue the tan nose piece to the yellow nose piece. The dotted line on the yellow nose pattern piece indicates where the tan nose piece should go. Glue the nose to the pumpkin, between the eyes.
7. For the mouth, glue the orange mouth piece to the yellow mouth piece. The placement of the orange mouth piece is indicated by the dotted line on the yellow mouthpiece pattern piece. Glue the tan mouth piece over the bottom of the orange mouth piece, as indicated by the dotted line on the orange mouth piece pattern. Glue the completed mouth piece to the pumpkin, below the mouth.
8. Make a paper chain from strips of yellow, orange, and tan construction paper for the dog tail. Loop one strip of construction paper, taping or gluing the overlapping ends together. Thread another strip of paper through the first looped strip and tape or glue the overlapping ends together. Repeat in this manner until tail is desired length.
9. To assemble, position the head pumpkin where you would like the pumpkin sculpture to be displayed. (You may need to prop it up with a bowl.) Place the body pumpkin next to it and two squash next to the body pumpkin as back legs. Place two small pumpkin squash for paws by the front of the head. Pin the paper chain tail to the back of the body pumpkin.