Make a Grim Reaper Pumpkin Sculpture for Halloween
Stack pumpkins onto a PVC pipe to create this foreboding Grim Reaper sculpture for Halloween.
0 did it
What You'll Need
- Four pumpkins
- Length of PVC pipe
- Hacksaw (or other fine tooth saw)
- Heavy wooden mallet
- Carving knife or pumpkin carving tools
- Pencil (for sketching out details before cutting)
- Candle or battery-powered light
- Cotton balls
- Faux-stone spray paint
- Twigs (for arms)
- Cape or black cloth
- Floral wire
- Plastic scythe
- Artificial raven (optional)
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cut circular holes in the tops and bottoms of three pumpkins with a carving knife; set the fourth one aside. The diameter of each hole should be the same size as the diameter of the PVC pipe.
- Cut the PVC pipe using a fine tooth saw. The PVC piece should be long enough to fit through all of the pumpkins, plus extra length for inserting into the ground.
- Pound the pipe into the ground with a wooden mallet. It may help to soften the ground first with water. Then slide the pumpkins onto the pipe.
- Turn the fourth pumpkin on its side and draw a face pattern around the stem, which will serve as the reaper's nose.
- Cut out the face openings using a knife. Cut a circular hole in the pumpkin underneath the mouth. (This hole will fit on top of the PVC pipe.) Cut another hole on the side of the pumpkin opposite of its face for inserting your candle or light.
- Slide the fourth pumpkin onto the PVC pipe. Stuff cotton balls into the face openings (to protect the interior from paint). Spray-paint all the pumpkins with faux-stone paint. Let the paint dry and remove the cotton.
- Cut two small openings for arm holes on each side of the second pumpkin (the one stacked beneath the "head" pumpkin) near the top. Insert the twigs for arms.
- Drape a cape or black cloth over the pumpkin tower and wire the plastic scythe to one of the twig arms. Wire the raven to the other arm if desired.