Glowing Stars Painted Pumpkins
Master the trick to this pumpkin by using cookie cutters to make the star shapes. The larger stars are carved through the entire pumpkin skin and flesh, while the smaller ones leave a thin layer of pumpkin flesh for the light to glow through.
- Cut the top third off the pumpkin. Clean out the insides using a spoon.
- Press a large cookie cutter into the pumpkin. Remove the cookie cutter and use a paring knife to carefully cut out the shapes. If you do not have star cookie cutters, trace the patterns, right. Cut out patterns and trace star shapes on the pumpkin using gold marking pen. Use a knife to cut shapes from pumpkin.
- For the small stars, press the small star cookie cutter into the skin of the pumpkin, being careful not to pierce through the entire skin. Use a paring knife to remove the outer layer of skin, leaving a thin lining for light to shine through.
- Outline the star shapes with a gold marking pen. Use the marker to make squiggles between the star shapes, if desired.
- Poke a toothpick into the bottom of one of the stars removed from the pumpkin. Color in the star shape using metallic gold marking pen. Color the raised areas of the stem.
- Use a toothpick to poke a hole in the top of the stem. Insert the toothpick with the star on the end.
- Place a candle inside the pumpkin, light the wick, and place the lid of the pumpkin. Never leave a burning candle unattended.