Scarecrow Pumpkin Stencil
If your scarecrow wears this expression, we think crows are the least of your worries. (But we bet he's effective at keeping them away!) Carve this menacing mannequin stencil into your pumpkin this year for a scream-worthy display. Download our stencil by clicking below; it's free!
This scarecrow pumpkin might have an evil outward appearance, but with a few extra touches, it can smell positively angelic. Before adding a lit candle, add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the pumpkin's hollow interior. The spices' aroma will be intensified by the candle's warmth, resulting in a lovely, pumpkin-pie-like scent.
1. Log in to BHG.com to download the free scarecrow pattern and resize it to better fit your pumpkin, if necessary. Attach the pattern to a cleaned-out pumpkin with tape, smoothing it down as you tape.
2. With a large nail or a long needle tool, pierce holes along the stencil lines, keeping holes within 1/8" of each other. Remove the stencil, and keep it handy.
3. Refer to the stencil to find areas that require etching. (These areas will be surrounded by dotted lines.) Use a gouge to gently remove the pumpkin's top layer, revealing the light orange rind underneath.
4. Refer to the stencil to find areas that require carving. (These areas will be surrounded by solid lines.) Use a skinny, serrated linoleum-cutting knife to cut out these areas. Discard excess pumpkin pieces.
5. Wipe cut pumpkin surfaces with petroleum jelly to retain pumpkin freshness. Light the pumpkin's interior with a battery-operated candle.