What You Need:
the perfect pumpkin to perch on
- Tracing paper; pencil
- Pumpkin, scooped out with lid cut
- Paring knife
- Sticks and twigs
- 26-gauge orange or black wire; wire cutters
- Pumpkin-carving tools
- Glass beads
1. Download the free pattern for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Trace the desired pattern. Cut out the pattern. Trace around the pattern on the pumpkin. Cut out the shape.
3. Poke a vertical pair of holes under both owl wings. Hold the stick under the feet with one hand. With the other hand, secure it in place by threading a 3-inch length of wire out one hole, over the stick, and back in through the second hole.
4. Twist the wire ends together inside the pumpkin. Repeat the process with the second pair of holes.
5. Cut 2 2-inch lengths of wire for the face. Thread an orange or black nose bead onto the center of the wire. Bend both wire ends up from the nose and then thread matching eye beads onto either side.
6. If necessary, bend the wire to secure the eye beads in place. Poke the wire ends into the pumpkin flesh on either side of the bat's head.