What You Need
- Fresh pumpkins or artificial carvable pumpkins: 1 small and 1 medium
- Acrylic crafts paint: black and orange
- Assorted artist's paintbrushes
- 24-inch length of 1-inch-diameter wooden dowel
- Matte-finish acrylic spray varnish
- Apple corer
- Small urn filled with potting soil
- Black electrical tape
- Paper fringe: orange and black
- Purchased spider
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Use a pencil to sketch diamond shapes onto the small pumpkin.
- Using an appropriate-size paintbrush, fill in the diamond shapes with black acrylic paint; let dry.
- Paint the wooden dowel orange. Let dry.
- Apply a second coat if necessary. Let dry.
- Spray acrylic varnish on both pumpkins and the dowel. Let dry.
- Use the apple corer to make holes in the top and bottom of the medium-size pumpkin.
- Make a hole in the bottom of the small pumpkin.
- Insert the painted dowel completely through the medium pumpkin, and then push the small pumpkin onto the top of the wooden dowel.
- Place the assembly into the urn. Cut pieces of electrical tape and wrap it around the dowel to create stripes.
- Decorate with paper fringe and set the purchased spider on top of the bottom pumpkin.