continue reading below
- Use a grey pumpkin for the rat. Cut a circle from the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Transfer two ear patterns to the circle.
- Transfer the eyes and mouth patterns onto the pumpkin.
- Using a knife or carving tools, cut out the openings.
- Use a gouge to carve a thin mouth, carving just deep enough to reveal the inner rind.
- Use half a gourd for the nose and attach it using wood skewers.
- Push pieces of floral cloth wire into the nose for whiskers.
- Add a chef's hat, a wire whisk, and checkered dish towel to complete the design.