Disguise your party rest spot as a fun-filled Ferris wheel, perfect for a circus-theme Halloween party.
Editor's Tip: If desired, have the designs enlarged at a copy center. Cut out and glue to foam-core board. Paint and embellish as desired.
1. Using the front, side, and scroll designs for reference, sketch the shapes onto foam-core board. Sketch the front as two mirror-image pieces. (When joined, the scroll will cover the seam.) Cut out the mirror-image pieces.
2. For front supports, cut a 15×16-inch rectangle from foam-core board; cut the rectangle in half diagonally to make two triangles. For front detail, cut out the scroll. For side panels, cut two mirror-image shapes. To hold the "safety bar," cut circles in matching locations on each side panel's lower scallop.
3. Using packing tape, join front pieces at the center to create one long piece with a scalloped top. Print the Ferris Wheel sign, enlarging to fit the front panels. Trim close to the words and arrange a word on each side of center seam, leaving space for decorative scroll (see photo, above); use painter's tape to temporarily tape in place.
4. Sketch curlicue outline to make sign area around words. To draw stripes, lay a ruler or yardstick vertically on the front and side panels and then draw along the sides of the ruler to get a consistent stripe width. Remove the taped-on words.
5. Paint every other stripe orange and the curlicues around the sign area aqua. (For crisp lines, tape off stripes using painter's tape.) Leave the inside of the Ferris Wheel sign area white; let dry.
6. Paint whimsical freehand circles on foam-core board scraps using aqua paint; let dry. Outline the edges of the circles using the black marker; let dry. Cut out using a crafts knife.
7. Paint the decorative scroll piece aqua; let dry. Add detail using the black marker. Hot-glue the decorative scroll over the center seam where panels meet. Use crafts glue to adhere "Ferris" and "Wheel" in previously determined spaces. Hot-glue aqua circles to centers of the scallops on the front panel and along the edges of the large scallops on the side panels. Print two 10 Tickets signs, enlarging to fit side panels; cut out. Attach to side panels using crafts glue. Using packing tape, attach a foam-core triangle to the back of the front piece near each end to hold the front upright. Attach a side panel to each side of the bench using packing tape or hot glue. Slip the dowel through holes in side panels. Arrange front panel in front of bench.
8. If desired, for background, draw clouds and sun on additional foam-core board and paint as desired. Cut out and attach behind Ferris wheel bench to tent or house. Use the setting for pretend rides or as a party photo spot.