Easy Bubbling Cauldrons
It takes very little toil and trouble to make this cauldron bubble. Kids will have fun embellishing this witch's brew with rubber toads, lizards, and other critters.
What You Need
- Plastic cauldrons: one large and one medium
- Flowerpot saucer the same diameter as the large cauldron opening
- Aluminum foil
- 2 cans of spray-foam insulation for large cracks (We used Great Stuff.)
- Assorted rubber critters such as toads, lizards, rats, and bats
- Plastic eyeballs
- Crafts knife
- Lime-green acrylic crafts paint and paintbrush
continue reading below
How to Make It
- For the large cauldron, line the saucer with aluminum foil.
- Spray foam insulation into the tray until it is just a little more than full.
- Let the wet foam set up for about 10 minutes to form the "bubbling brew," and then insert rubber critters and plastic eyes as desired.
- On a separate sheet of aluminum foil, spray small blobs of the foam insulation. Use these blobs as decorative "drips" to glue on around the edge of the large cauldron.
- For the medium cauldron, cut a hole large enough for the cauldron to lie flat on its side.
- Protect a flat working surface with aluminum foil and lay the cauldron on its side.
- Spray foam insulation into the container, letting the foam extend beyond the opening to create a "spill." Let all foam insulation dry for 36 hours to cure.
- After the foam in the saucer has completely set, remove the foam from the saucer and peel off the foil.
- Set the "bubbling brew" into the opening of the large cauldron.
- Trim to fit using a crafts knife.
- Peel the foil from the underside of the medium cauldron's "spill."
- Paint all areas of the "bubbling brew" with a wash of lime-green paint and water. Avoid painting the critters.
- Add more critters on the surface of the brew if desired.